Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Fourteen Weeks

The second trimester has officially begun!

Baby is healthy, and besides a few minor complications, I'm feeling pretty positive.

I'm also on modified bed rest for the rest of the week.

To recap the events of the last few weeks:
I've been having spotting and cramping on and off since I found out I was pregnant. Luckily, the doctors have been great about getting me plenty of reassuring ultrasounds. The bleeding got worse about a week and half ago. It was very scary until we got an image of our baby dancing around on the ultrasound screen like it was hosting it's own personal ABDC.

The bleeding is the result of a small blood clot on my uterus. It doesn't seem to be affecting the baby at all; it's just a pain in the neck for Eric and I. And hopefully it stays that way!

I was on modified bed rest the majority of last week although I did get into school one day. We spent Easter weekend mostly in bed or on the couch...although Eric did take me on a scenic driving tour of the beaches of New Hampshire since I was going a bit stir crazy after my week at home.

I thought things were back to normal, but I woke up this morning with pretty nasty cramps again. Baby is still doing well. The size and heart rate are right where they should be. But...I'm on bed rest for the remainder of the week. I have to go back a week from now to see if I can return to work. The doctor said we're just going to take it week by week at this point.


It's nice to be able to relax and focus on keeping me and the baby healthy, but it's also stressful being out of work for long periods of time. We control-freak teacher types like to make sure our classes are running smoothly, and the students are not spending their days watching The Wizard of Oz instead. (Actually happened while I was out once.) I also don't want to use too many sick days because I'd like to save them for when baby is here in the fall. At this time, my plan is to work through September and then take off October through Christmas break. I just need to get through the last two plus months of work, and then I'll be able to sit back all summer long. It's great being a teacher!

So what does modified bed rest mean? Well, it means I can move around the apartment, do light housework like cooking (no laundry though right??) and generally just chill out at home. I can't go to work or exercise or go to the mall for the afternoon or anything like that though. (Darn, guess that marathon will have to wait. I do so love exercising too...)

The good news is that with all this baby mama drama, I've been getting lots of glimpses of my future offspring. Here "it" is at...
Thirteen Weeks


Eleven Weeks


Seven Weeks

1 comment:

  1. Amazing the difference between 7 and 13 weeks.

    ReplyDelete