Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Our Little Wedding: Color Palette

Early in the wedding planning process, I told my Maid of Honor, Amy, that I didn't care what her dress looked like as long as it was the right color.  What color was that exactly?  Well, it's hard to describe.  

Simply put, it's pink.  But it's not just any old pink.  I tried to explain to Amy that it wasn't baby girl pink, or carnation pink, or Barbie pink, or Pepto Bismol pink.  The closest I could get to an accurate description was salmon, but who wants to look like a fish when walking down the aisle, am I right?  

Then I told her I wanted to mix in some peach and bright yellow and maybe some lighter pink.  That's a whole lot of color!  

Every time we went shopping she'd ask me, "Like this color?" when she saw something in a pinkish hue.  And I'd either nod yes or no, or respond, "Sorta....but warmer.  Coral-ish, but darker.  Like pink and orange had a baby..."   

I found this color palette on Pinterest, which helped me solidify the whole thing...in my mind at least.  

Then we started looking at dresses.  David's Bridal finally provided a name for the color I was trying to describe....GUAVA!  

So, maybe you don't want to walk down the aisle looking like a salmon, but a tropical fruit sounds perfectly acceptable! 

Once I had a name for the color, I had a much easier time explaining what I wanted to the florist.  

"I want lighter peaches and pinks in the background with pops of bright yellow and a pinkish color.  I think it's called....guava?"  

"Oh yes, guava. I know exactly what you mean," she responded.  

Score.  

Who knew guava was an actual color?  There was guava card stock at Michael's to use for our wedding invitations.  There was also guava ribbon to make ribbon wands!  Triple score.  

From there, I just had to figure out what to dress Eric in.  He found a perfect shade of light gray for his suit, and his sister, who acted as best woman during the ceremony, found a great dress to match him.  

Together, I think grey and guava look pretty perfect.  

I love the way the colors ended up looking against the green, grey and blue backdrop of Lake Champlain and the Green Mountains.  

Photo by Jaclyn Schmitz Photography
Photo by Jaclyn Schmitz Photography
Photo by Jaclyn Schmitz Photography
Flowers by Alison Ellis at Floral Artistry Vermont






2 comments: