Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Dear Madeline: February, 2014

Dear Madeline,

First off, I can't believe how grown up you've become.  I look at pictures from this past fall, and you are taller, slimmer, less baby-faced already. Then I watch old videos, and your voice has matured; your vocabulary has expanded.

I am left staring at you, mouth agape, wondering where my baby went.  Who is this little girl that lives with us?  What happened to my chubby-cheeked Maddie Bear?  

It's funny.  Since I'm not a huge fan of the newborn stage, I'm urging your sister to grow, grow, grow.  Meanwhile, I feel like shouting, "Slow down! You're growing up too fast!" in your direction.  

Yet, you are very much a little kid..solidly entrenched in the terrible threes.  I'll stop just short of labeling you as obnoxious, because that would probably make me a bad parent.  It's just that you do a lot of obnoxious things.  You're seriously testing your limits and pushing our buttons.   


Every direction we give you, from picking up your toys to using your fork, is followed by a "Why?"  And you usually don't accept the rational answers we attempt to provide.  I've found the words, "Because I said so," coming from my mouth way more than I'd like.  

You love Vivienne so, so much, and are such a good big sister.  She was crying while I changed her diaper this morning.  You held her hand and said, "Don't worry, Vivi.  I'll be right here for you."  Aww.

Sometimes you love her a little too much.  There is such a thing as too many kisses, especially since you recently had a cold.  We've had to chase you away from her from time to time.

You like playing in the snow, which is good because we've had a ton of it.  You're obsessed with the movie Frozen.  We listen to the soundtrack daily, and most of your pretend play involves Elsa and Anna.  You color a lot, and still like puzzles.  

We love your sweetness, sense of humor, and even your feisty side.  

Love,
Mumma

No comments:

Post a Comment