Saturday, September 13, 2014

Dear Madeline: September, 2014

Dear Madeline,

Today, you are four.  Four is still little.  You still need help putting on shoes, washing your hands, getting in your car seat.  But four is big enough to be considered a kid.  Not a baby, not a toddler...an honest to goodness kid.  You can get dressed yourself, get yourself a glass of water, help me unload the dishwasher.  You are my little buddy, my biggest helper, my shadow around the house. 

Sometimes I miss the baby that you were.  That tiny girl, with those chubby cheeks, and halo of red curls will never walk into the room again.  I now fully get what parents mean when they talk about time moving too quickly.  

But the best part of watching you grow is that each and every stage just gets better and better.  I miss baby Madeline, but I wouldn't trade the lovely child you've become for anything.  

You are smart, clever, at times sly.  You are funny, silly, unafraid to let your inner goofy shine.  You are sweet, kind, and gentle. You are brave to the point of sometimes being afraid to let your true feelings out.


  I know you are very big, but it is okay to cry if you fall and scrape your knee in front of your friends.  I know you are big, but it's okay to cry on Mumma's shoulder when a friend at school hurts your feelings.  Don't hold those feelings back, my Maddie girl.  Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself...to be yourself.  

Stay forever awesome, Madeline.  You are the coolest kid I know.  

Love,
Mumma

2 comments:

  1. Dear Maddie,
    Happy 4th Birthday. We hope that you have a wonderful day!!! We are so lucky to have you as our granddaughter.
    Lots of Love Nana and Pop xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written! Happy Birthday Maddie Bear!

    ReplyDelete