Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Crib Notes

We went and browsed for cribs last weekend. I know we still have 20 weeks left, but it will probably take us another month or two before we finally settle on one. Besides, the earlier we set it up, the more time we'll have to train the cat to stay away from it!

Let me just say, baby stores are extremely overwhelming. There are so many choices! There were two entire rows of breast-feeding equipment alone! And does our baby need a dehumidifier shaped like a little pink pig? I don't know...I just don't know. Don't even get me started on the car seat/ stroller options. I think we just stood and stared at them for a good fifteen minutes like trout with our mouths hanging open.

Luckily, I feel like the crib options were pretty straight forward. They all looked exactly the same to me. Sure, some had squared edges and some round. Some had solid headboards, and some had slated, but they were still all just very nice cribs.

But, me being me, I've got my heart set on a bright, shiny, colorful crib. All the cribs at the store were brown...not that there's anything wrong with that, but everything in our apartment is already brown or white. Since we can't paint the walls in Baby's room, I really want to get a crib in a color. Hence, the epic search begins.

Babies R Us has a green crib...

But, it's online only. I'm not sure if I want to buy a crib I've never seen in person, and it looks really small.

Then, there's a company called Young America that sells children's furniture in every color of the rainbow...







Aren't they just beautiful??

But, do I really want to pay almost twice as much for a crib just because it's sea grass green or surf blue or flamingo pink or sunflower yellow? There are some retailers in the area that sell those cribs, so we'll have to go and see them in person in the near future.

I've toyed with the idea of just painting one ourselves, but I've heard that's annoying. Plus, Eric would have to probably do that project alone since stripping wood and inhaling paint fumes is probably not good for Baby. I also have a fear that we'll do it wrong and all the paint will rub off on the child. Imagine my horror upon finding a sea grass green baby in the morning!

Or, I could just suck it up and settle for an average brown crib...I don't think Baby will know the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment