Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Not Quite Katniss, But We Try

Ever since reading The Hunger Games, I've worried about my family's lack of survival skills.  If society collapses...we are completely sca-rewed.    

We can't fight.  We can't live off the land.  We can't darn socks.  

Is playing the trumpet going to lure some delicious bunny rabbits into our traps?  No.  Is quoting Shakespeare going to scare away the wolves?  No sir.  It will just make them hungrier.    

So every time we're faced with the smallest of crises, I find myself daydreaming about fashioning boots out of old tires and scavenging for berries so we can survive the impending winter.  (Neurotic)     

Luckily, Hurricane Irene did not worry me too much because apparently real-life potential hazards don't get to me.  I'm too busy worrying about the Zombie Apocalypse or the distant meteor hurtling through space to notice a little hurricane coming our way. 

We were also very lucky, and by the time the hurricane made it this far north, it was no longer a hurricane.  We did not suffer any damage or even lose power.  

But...we did lose cable and Internet for over 24 hours.  (Now I'll never find out what happened in that episode of Bar Rescue!)  

We took advantage of our time without distractions to start training Madeline to survive in the wild.  It's never too early.  Besides, what if the Zombies were taking advantage of all the hurricane hoopla to stage a sneak attack.  

We started with something simple...shelter building.  Luckily, we have lots of cardboard boxes on hand.  


We also have a pretty sweet lantern.


And Madeline created a back entrance so she has two ways to escape the Zombies.  

I now feel a little more confident that at least Madeline may survive the Zombie Apocalypse.

That's a pretty amazing fort.  I think she could live there if need be.

1 comment:

  1. LOL...oh my gosh, I could not stop laughing at this post. Hysterical. Maddie's fort building skillz put mine to shame!

    ReplyDelete