Thursday, January 12, 2012

Dining Room Plans

Our new dining room table is being delivered on Saturday, and we are soooo excited!

It looks like this:

Something about having a dining room makes me feel officially grown up.

I've never had one of my own before.  We lived in loft apartments before we bought our house, and there wasn't really the space or need for a big table.

Our dining room currently looks like this:

It's actually quite pretty the way it is.  I think the least amount of work needs to be done in this room. We love the tin ceilings, built in china cabinet and bead board.

But right now it's just a big empty space in the center of our house.

Here's the plan:

  • Paint the walls. (We're going with a pumpkin-spice orange color.  I really like the blue, but I enjoy richer colors in the dining area.  It makes me feel cozy.)  
  • Paint the ceiling with a gloss to make it POP!  
  • Replace the hardware on the china hutch
  • Paint inside of china hutch to compliment new wall color.  (Right now it's a cheery shade of yellow that looks awesome with the blue.  The orange?  I think not.)   
  • Get a rug
  • Get curtain rods, curtains and blinds.  (The neighbors must be tired of seeing us walk around the house sans pants.)  
  • Replace the lighting fixture.  
  • Find an interesting sideboard.  
  • Build a radiator cover
  • Buy/ Build benches under the windows on either side of the radiator.  
  • Hang up our ridiculously extensive map collection.  
Ta-Da!  Instant dining room.  

I didn't really think we had that much to do...but now that I look at the list...hmmm.  

2 comments:

  1. Two thoughts:
    a) painting the ceiling will make you want to end it all. All those nooks and crannies? Sheesh. Of course, I did spend the entire summer spackling individual beadboard cracks in my porch ceiling, so I understand the madness. But ugh.
    b) What did you have in mind for a light fixture? We've been looking for a new one, too. I really like yours - is it straight black or like an oil-rubbed bronze? If it's ORB (and Chris likes it) I could arrange to take it off your hands someday...I don't think you'd want mine, it's home depot special trash.
    c) I found great hardware for our hutch at www.houseofantiquehardware.com !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily. Our fixture is straight black. I found a cheep one I like at Lowe's, but we're still keeping our eye out. I'm not sure what we're doing with ours, but I can talk to Eric. If you think you like it, I can take more pics or you could stop by to see it. Thanks for the website! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete