Monday, January 2, 2012

Reliving My Youth Through Keri Russel's Hair

 I've become Felicity obsessed after re watching season one on ye olde Ipad during my vacation week.  Yes, the Felicity starting Kerri Russel and her head full of glorious curly hair.  (Don't worry, I already I realized how pathetic I am when I shouted, "That's where Felicity lives!" when we passed NYU on our trip to New York City last week.)   My obsession is not so much due to the gripping story line, but because the show is helping me come to terms with the fact that I am getting a tad...ahem...old-er.

Granted, thirty isn't exactly O.L.D the way Demi Moore's left buttock or part of Meg Ryan's face is old, but it's gotten to the point where the Nineties is starting to look...ancient.

And we're talking late 90s too....approaching the millennium, in fact.  I already knew from listening to "The Greatest Love of All" and watching Fresh Prince reruns that the early 90s were ridiculous.  But 1998?!  Shenanigans!

I used to watch John Hughes movies in high school and laugh at the 80's fashion trends.  Molly Reinwald what did you do that pink dress?!?!

In my mind there was no way my era could ever look outdated.  After all, the way we dressed was just normal.

Oh, how wrong I was!  If nothing else, Felicity has reminded me of that.

Super wide-legged jeans?  Ankle-length, shapeless sack-like skirts?  Millions of sparkly butterfly hair clips all in the same hair?  Over sized, chunky ski sweaters?!  Yup,  I had them all.

My freshman year of high school I got a giant, red sweater covered with snowflakes and another navy blue sweater with reindeer across the chest.  I probably could have fit three of me into one of them.  Oh, how stylish I thought I was.   Damn, I wish I still had those sweaters so I could wear them to an ugly sweater Christmas party.  (Although I think I MAY still have the matching reindeer hat and gloves floating around someplace.)
Oddly enough, not the sweaters to which I was referring, but this'll have to do.  


And the technology gap between the world of Felicity in 1998 and today?!  Epic.

On Felicity no one has cell phones...which could have totally remedied the whole situation where Noel has an allergic reaction to  beet powder and starts wigging out because he thinks Felicity is ditching him to go make out with Ben in the stacks.  Um, hello?  Just sext her and be done with it!   (Are people still sexting, or is that, like, so 2009?)

Furthermore, the only person who even seems to have his own computer is Noel.  They make a lot of references to how nerdy he is because he has his own website...www.noelcrane.com.   Flash forward to the future: My neighbor's cat has a blog.  (Just kidding.  My neighbor doesn't have a cat.  At least, not that I know of...I'm still sorta new.)

The last time I watched Felicity I was seventeen and in high school, so probably the biggest difference is the fact that my emotional intelligence has shifted (I won't say grown) since then.

It used to make total sense that Felicity would follow the boy she loved across the country to college.  Girl took a chance on love!  Now, it seems crazy and awkward as hell to watch this young girl follow a boy she doesn't even know across the country.

The episode where Felicity loses her virginity to Eli used to blow my mind.  How could she do such a thing?!  Now, I'm like eh, what's the big deal.

Which brings me to...HOW IN THE HOLY UNIVERSE DID IT GET TO BE 2012?!

Seriously?  Twelve?  Twelve.  Twelve!  Really.
 (That's how they'd say it on Felicity.  They end every sentence with "Really."  or "Really?")

A child who was born in 1998 is now 14 years old.  I've basically lived two whole lives since Felicity first aired.  Madeline will view 1998 the way that I viewed the 1960s....as older than dirt.

La sigh.

I'm starting on season two tonight, but I'm not really looking forward to it because all I remember is that she cuts her hair and the show starts to suck.

At least Downton Abbey starts up again next week.  Talk about back in the day!  I wonder if there are any centenarians out there watching PBS reliving their youth...

Look at those corsets!  What were we thinking?!

No comments:

Post a Comment