Monday, February 27, 2012

When Summer Copies Things She Sees on The Internet

When I have a lot of time on hands, I find my oven mitts itching for some DIY, arts and crafts magic.  This past week I had a lot of free time since it was school vacation week.  Most of my projects were half-arsed and not worth sharing.  The low point came when I got drunk and started wrapping wine and beer bottles in yarn on Thursday night.  They fell apart.  Apparently there's this invention called glue that I need to look into...whatevs.

But on Saturday, I completed my one and only worthwhile project of the week.  (Besides painting the dining room and not doing laundry.)

I've been noticing all the terrarium madness on the Internet for the past year, and making one of my own has been on the list for a while.

I used one old bowl I've had lying around the place for years and one bowl I bought at a thrift store for next to nothing.

You will also need pebbles, potting soil made for the kind of plant you'll be using, and of course...plants.  The nice thing about these kinds of plants is that they are hard to kill.  And since I tend to kill most living things that come in contact with me...it's the red hair...I'm hoping these last a while.  

First, you need to pour about an inch of the pebbles on the bottom of the bowl.  
Then you need to pour enough soil to plant the roots of your plants.  I needed about four inches.  In my first attempt, I poured the soil in the bowl and then dug holes for the plants.  On my second attempt, I placed the plants in the bowl first and then scooped piles of dirt around the roots.  I recommend the second method because it was easier to place my pants exactly where I wanted them, and it was slightly less messy.  
In my second terrarium, I had enough room to also add a layer of moss, which I really like the look of.
Ta-da!  Aren't they purdy?
 Two easy, lovely, hard-to-kill centerpieces for my new and improved dining room!




P.S.  Friends do not let friends drink and craft alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment