Thursday, July 5, 2012

What's Red and White and Blue All Over???

Madeline on the Fourth of July, of course!

She's got the red and white part covered.  Just add a blue dress, and TA-DA!  That's one patriotic baby!


The town I grew up in has a pretty sizable Independence Day celebration, and Eric plays his trumpet with the local band for the extravaganza on the evening of the third.  

Last year, Madeline was curious, but really too young to appreciate what was going on.  This year, we parked our blanket right up front so she could see her Dada playing in the concert.  We were there for a long time, and Madeline stayed up way past her bedtime, but she was SUCH a good girl.  She danced, played, clapped to the music and ate some ketchup...her favorite.  


 When we walked back to the car after the concert was over, Madeline held my hand very tightly and trotted along quickly.  She kept saying, "Lights are off!  The lights are off!"  and I realized that she hasn't really been out after dark before.  I think she was a little worried.

The next morning we headed to the parade to show America some love.  It started off as a cold, rainy day, but the sun broke through by the time the festivities began.  Jeans were not a good choice on my part.  Luckily, I dressed Madeline more appropriately.
Eventually, I moved us to a spot a little further back from the parade route under the shade of some trees.  It was getting a wee too sunny for we gingers.  Plus, all Madeline wanted to do was run around, and she had some more room in the grass to do so.  

 The parade features some very loud fire trucks and guns, so I was a little apprehensive about Madeline's reaction.  Last year, she slept through the entire parade, but I didn't think we'd be so lucky this year.  When she heard the fire trucks coming she said, "I'm scared da dem," but she handled everything very well.  No tears were shed, and she was content to watch as long as I held her close.
 And surprise, surprise, Madeline ended up falling asleep again!  People were shooting off guns right in front of us, but she barely flinched.  Something about parades just makes my girl sleepy....who knew?
 After the parade, we hung around the house and ate for the rest of the afternoon.  I set Eric up at the grill, set Madeline up at her baby pool, and I set myself up.....well, with a pitcher of Sangria.

 Happy Fourth!

No comments:

Post a Comment