Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Dear Madeline: June, 2013

Dear Madeline,

It's been fascinating watching the wheels in that little head of yours spinning recently.  You're learning and growing so quickly these days that it's hard to keep up with you.

I love listening to you play.  You use your dolls to make up stories, or to reenact favorite books or movies.  The other day you walked in the living room with two Little People and said, "This is Mr. Darcy and Mr. Bingley."  It made your English-teacher Mumma proud.

You like to run around the yard pretending to be Rapunzel or Belle.  You often demand that Dada be Flynn Ryder and Mumma be the evil mother.  I'm not sure how I feel about this.  I'm not sure how Dada feels about this.  I'm not sure how Freud would feel about this.

This bossy behavior has extended beyond the playroom, I'm afraid.  You're quite certain that you're the boss of our little household.  We're constantly getting orders about what to get you, where to stand, or how to clean up your toys.  Dada and I are doing are best to put you in your place.  You may be our little princess, but we're still in charge, Maddie Bear.  There have been a lot of tears around here lately when you don't get your way.

We took your pacifiers away for good a few months ago now.  We retired them one by one as you poked holes in them.  For some reason, they all seemed to fail within a week or two.  You didn't protest too much, which was a pleasant surprise.  However, I will say that getting you to bed takes A LOT longer now without the pacifier to help calm you down.

You've started playing the classic child's game of finding every excuse under the sun to get us back in your bedroom at bedtime.  Sometimes you claim that you have a wet diaper.  Sometimes you claim that you want to use the potty.  Sometimes you beg to have your back rubbed or your hand held.  Sometimes things gets really ridiculous, and you cry for us to put the blanket back on you, or help you reach a book at the foot of your bed.  We try to get you to do these things yourself, but you can yell....loudly.  Then we try to ignore your yelling, and instead, you become hysterical.  Sigh.  I guess we're just in another one of those phases.  I'm sure you'll figure out other ways to self-sooth eventually.

When you first transitioned into the preschool, your new teacher asked me, "Does she usually talk herself to sleep?"  I just had to laugh.  Buddy, you have no idea.  You talk, and talk, and talk.  

In fact, I just overheard you say, "I want to be big, and turn into a human!" from your bed.  Not sure what that's all about.  

Meanwhile, you've become increasingly curious about letters and words.  You now realize that the symbols on the page are words with meaning.   You ask me to spell words out to you.  You try to spell out the words yourself.  Sometimes you get the letters right, but mostly, you just randomly spout out the alphabet.

And in a week, little girl, we'll be on summer vacation.  Then I'll have you to myself all day long.  We can bake, do projects, explore the neighborhood, and go on trips together.  We can sleep in late and stay up later.  Can't wait!  

Love you, Bean Sprout!

Mumma



No comments:

Post a Comment