Monday, December 13, 2010

O Tannenbaum

Wie treu sind deine Blatter!


Decorating the Christmas Tree is my favorite Christmas tradition.  Nothing puts me in the spirit for Christmas carols and eggnog like decorating a pine tree like a good German. (I'm not German...but Eric is!)

Believe me when I say that I take tree decorating very seriously.  Therefore, I have a list of tree-decorating guidelines.

1.) A fake Christmas tree will never cross my threshold.  I understand and appreciate why other people get them. (Real trees are quite messy.)  But me? I consider that sacrilege.  The day a fake tree crosses my threshold you can assume that I've succumbed to some horrible fate, and Eric has replaced me with a younger, skinnier, blonder model.

2.)  We must look at every tree in the yard before settling on the best one.  I need to explore all my options.  I don't care about the kind of tree as long as it's not one of those Chia-pet ones.  (I don't know what they're called, but they look like tree monsters.)  I prefer ones that are both tall and fat....perfectly cone shaped.  This year we got a sad, skinny tree, but luckily, it looks bigger in our apartment than it did at the lot.
Maddie, AKA Scar Face, was not very helpful in picking out a tree.
Our tree looks extra dinky on Eric's jeep.
3.  The tree must be decorated as soon as possible.  I know you're supposed to wait for the tree's branches to drop, but I don't.  I'm way too impatient and excited once we get that delicious pine smell in the house.  It's like a tree-decorating fever takes over my sanity.  If the branches shift drastically after we decorate, then I simply rearrange the ornaments to fill in any holes.

4.  The entire family must help decorate.  I know in some families only the kids do it.  Or, maybe only the mom does it so that it looks perfect.  Some people even hire other people to do it for them.  Well, that may be just fine and dandy for them, but to me, that is just so wrong.  It's a family event!  Obviously, this year little baby did not help because she doesn't have control of her hands yet, but someday she will.  If Madeline puts the ornaments in places that make the tree look ugly, I'll just do what my mother did to me...I'll rearrange them after she goes to bed.
5.  It should be dark out when we decorate.  That way all the lights look extra twinkly and bright.  (By the way, only multicolored lights are acceptable on my tree.)  Then, you can strategically put all the shiny glass ornaments next to the lights so they stand out.

6. Something Christmas-y must be on in the background while we decorate.  Both music and movies are acceptable.  This year, It's A Wonderful Life was on TV while we decorated.  That was an extra bonus because that's my favorite Christmas movie.

7.  Christmas drinks and snacks should be provided.  This year we didn't have any snacks, and I'm pretty sure the eggnog made me sick...epic fail.  Next year, I need to remember to be prepared with cookies and hot chocolate ahead of time.

8.  Finally, and most importantly, the same ornaments must be used each year.  I don't do Christmas tree themes and color schemes.  I use my same mismatched ornaments year after year.  First off, all the different colors, shapes, and textures make the tree look absolutely beautiful.  Secondly, digging out the same ornaments each year is like saying hello to long-lost friends.  Each one has a story or a memory for me.

Some remind me of who we are.
Eric's trombone.
Some remind me where we've been.
Holly ball from England and a NYC taxi cab

Some remind me that life is silly.  
Elvis from one of Eric's students.
Some remind me of my childhood.
Big Bird: 1984
Some remind me of what we've lost.
Ellis Angel 09
Ellis Angel 08
 (Ellis Angel 10 has yet to be found.)
 And some remind me of all we have.
First ornament on the tree!  Thanks Amy!
Oh, little girl, you have years and years and years of tree decorating with your crazy Mumma ahead of you.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.  Just remember, follow the rules, and you'll be fine.




2 comments:

  1. Can't wait for next Christmas...rules will fly out the window, chaos may rein, breakable ornaments will be a little higher up the tree! So, how old were you when you realized I was rearranging the tree after dark? Aw...but not quite as bad as finding out there is no Santa Claus (Maddie can't read yet, can she?!).
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus!

    ReplyDelete