Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I did it all for the bubba! Yea! The bubba!

It seems like just yesterday we were trying to get Madeline on the bottle, and yet, here we are taking it away.

So you can take that tubba...(imagine that sung to the tune of Nookie.  Sorry, I'm a nerd.)

Since Madeline is the big O-N-E, Numero Uno, now, we've quit the bottle cold turkey, and have switched to exclusive sippy-cup usage.  

And when I say cold turkey, I mean we've cut out every bottle...except for the bedtime bottle.

I thought she'd miss her daytime feedings, but she doesn't seem to mind one bit.  She happily drinks milk from her cup along with her breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  She's plied with plenty of water, and one cup of juice a day as well.  

As for the nighttime bottle?

Well, I haven't tried taking that one away just yet.  You see, I'm a total bedtime-bottle enabler.

I know "they" say you're not supposed to give your baby a bottle at bedtime because it aides in tooth decay, they don't learn to self-soothe, yadda-yadda-yadda...

Oops.

I really like giving Madeline her bedtime bottle.  It's part of our routine.  She gets all comfy and cozy and groggy in my arms, and it reminds me of all the other nights we spent that way when she was still a newborn.

She doesn't always fall asleep while drinking her bottle, but I'd say about half of the time, she does.  I don't wake her up when this happens like "they" say you're supposed to.  Maybe I'm just lazy.  I certainly don't like the idea of trying to get her to sleep all over again once she's in her crib.  But, if she's happy and I'm happy...I don't feel it's necessary to rock the apple cart.

Who knows?  Maybe if I stopped giving her a bedtime bottle tomorrow, she wouldn't even notice.  Or maybe she'd throw a great big fuss and not sleep a wink until the sun comes up.  I guess I'll have to try it out eventually.  (Giving a thirteen-year old a bedtime bubba is just plain weird.)

I'm just not quite ready to let this one go yet...

Happier, Bubba-filled times

2 comments:

  1. The reason dentists say not to give a bottle in bed is that saliva flow decreases (all glamour, I know!) so that natural rinsing done on teeth is gone - and tooth decay happens. It's very real because I have seen it happen to many toddlers.

    My son didn't really take a bottle and went straight onto a cup when he weaned onto solids, it was weird watching a 6 month old drink out a cup :/. I didn't have the bottle worries but I did read an awful lot about it as well as taking advice from a dentist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. post regarding baby bottle tooth decay. we should take care of our children for toothache. keep posting.

    ReplyDelete