Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Baby Techie

Not to be confused with Baby TREKKIE because Madeline does not watch Star Trek.  Eric, on the other hand.....does.

I marvel at the amount of information Madeline will have at her fingertips growing up.

Here she is, just one year old, and she's already figuring out how to use ye ole Ipad.
 She loves to look at pictures of us on it.  She points and giggles at our faces.

Eric was showing her how to scroll through the photographs, and she just about has it.  Turning the Ipad on and off is a well-mastered skill, which she continuously practices...especially when her Mumma is trying to read something on it.

From time to time we play games with Madeline on the Ipad.  There are a bazillion apps geared toward toddlers.  She hasn't really been interested in the games in the past, but tonight she became pretty mesmerized with a memory game.  The cartoon animals would jump or make noise when she touched them.

We also use it to watch old Sesame Street episodes with her.  She loves it because, obviously, it's Sesame Street, people!  And we love it because we get a kick out of watching clips we haven't seen since we were only little tykes ourselves.
It's OK, Katie Perry, we don't mind that
you got kicked off Sesame Street.
Remember, "Here, fishy, fishy, FISHY!" ?  Remember "Squeal of Fortune"?  Remember those Yupper guys who were amazed by the radio?  It's all there on YouTube.  Faaaaan-tastic!

A world without the Internet?!?  How would
I have a blog???  Also, my hair looks dumb, Mumma!
Sometimes I amaze my students by announcing that when I grew up, YouTube did not exist.  Gasp!  Then I really blow their minds when I remind them that the Internet in general wasn't around when I grew up either.  Cellphones too.  "How did you live?!"  they shriek aghast.

"I don't know, children.  I don't know.  It was a dark era in history."

(Actually, I'm making that up.  Usually they just roll their eyes at me and think, "What-ever old lady, when can we watch a movie?")

It makes me wonder if someday Madeline will be telling younger generations that when she was a kid, all they had to play with were Ipads.  Gasp!  How did you live?!

P.S.  Here's one our favorite videos to watch with Madeline because it's silly, and it gets stuck in our heads for days on end.  Don't say I didn't warn you.

No comments:

Post a Comment