Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Sick(ish) Day

Sunday night, Madeline came down with a sudden high fever.  I was sure we had contracted the dreaded plague.  "Eeek, Eric!" I grimaced, "It's the flu!  Quick, pack our bags! Let's head for the hills!"

Yet, the following morning, after calling in to work for the day, I scratched my head in bewilderment as I watched a seemingly healthy Madeline twirl around the living room between bites of bagel.  She totally duped me!

Except for a runny nose and a general crankiness to let me know she isn't quite faking it, Madeline is pretty much back to her normal self.  Of course, now I'm feeling a little off, so at least there's that.  (I finally got my flu shot, but that sucker takes two weeks to work.  I may wear a mask to face my students tomorrow.)

Still, even if we are a bit under the weather, it's always nice to get a bonus day with my girl.  It makes me wonder about how glamourous (or chaotic) my life would be as a stay-at-home mom.

Madeline used the day to soak up as many cartoons as I would let her get away with.  Meanwhile, I tried to get as much grading done as possible in between catering to the needs of a toddler with  a feigned illness.  (I think it took me over twenty minutes to grade a single paper at one point...)

Once I had heard all the Disney Channel I could stomach, we turned our attention to painting.  It seems we are out of paintbrushes, but luckily, we have jars and jars filled with wine corks.  We painted with those instead.  Mother of the year up in here, folks.  At least the next time I crack open a bottle of cheap wine in the middle of the week I can say it's in the name of Madeline's art.


A very sick Maddie Bear last night...


A perfectly normal Maddie Bear the next morning...





No comments:

Post a Comment