Monday, March 25, 2013

Lessons in Bad Parenting: If at First You Don't Succeed...

If at first you don't succeed...you should probably just give up.  Cause I did it again.  I ruined my daughter's hair.    

After the debacle of giving Madeline her first haircut, one would think I'd have learned my lesson.  But did I?  No.  What I'm trying to say is this:  I am an ass-hat.  

After observing how long and shaggy Madeline's hair was during bath time last night, I felt the sudden need to cut it.  I was like Edward Scissorhands.  I just couldn't help myself.

The really stupid part is that my sister is a hairdresser, so it's not like we don't know a guy.  I'm not much of a planner, however.  I also don't possess much impulse control or patience.  The urge to cut Madeline's hair entered my brain approximately two minutes before I actually went for it.

Last night, the dim lighting and freshly-washed hair hid a lot of flaws.  It didn't look terrible.  
This morning we let Madeline sleep in a bit later than usual since Eric was taking her to a doctor's appointment.  I left the house for work before she woke up.  Therefore, I didn't get a true assessment of the damage until I got her home this afternoon.

Bam!

I let my poor child walk around with a rat tail all day long.  Awesome.  What must her teachers think?  My solution was to get the scissors out again to get rid of the tail, but (no surprise) I actually just continued to make it worse.  

Thankfully, there is a Supercuts right down the street from us.  Crisis averted...sorta....
Madeline loved getting her first real haircut. She kept smiling at herself in the mirror shyly.  She got a kick out of sitting in the chair and wearing a purple robe.

They even gave her a lollipop when she was finished.  Mumma never gives her lollipops.  Except when I try to bribe her to go on the potty.  There's that bad parenting thing again.  


1 comment:

  1. I have to say, a professional haircut for our girl would be heck on earth for everyone involved...

    ReplyDelete