Monday, March 18, 2013

Snow YOLO

According to the weather gods, we may be hours away from our sixth snow day of the school year.  This means we'll be making up for lost time in June when the weather is beautiful and the cherubs are gnawing off their arms at the elbows in anticipation of their freedom.  This possibility is enough to make many teachers cringe at these late-winter storms.  Yet, due to my glass-is-half-empty attitude, I usually don't mind having so many snow days.

I could be dead by June.  An asteroid may hit.  The zombie apocalypse may relegate us to our basements.  Bono could be the new Pope.  There are many things that could prevent me from enjoying the last day of school come June.  

Besides, we all know that someday in the near future all the polar bears will be dead and snow will only be a Game of Thrones-esque reference to an era long past.  I'll take my days off now, thank you very much!

After all, if my students have taught me one valuable lesson over the course of my career it's YOLO.   (I had a student openly mock me for not knowing that term a while back, but later that same week she revealed that she didn't know who Yoda is.  I think we all know who won that battle of street cred.)

The same philosophy generally prevents me from being a successful dieter.  I could be skinny later.  Or, I could eat the bowl of guacamole now before I lose my sense of taste in a horrific snowball accident thus forever robbing me of my joy of food.    

Speaking of which, last week I cut into a mango only to find it was the world's largest avocado.   I took it as a sign that God wants me to eat guacamole and chips instead of fruit salad.  I bent to His divine, and delicious, will.


Anyhow, if this storm turns to naught, and I end up in school tomorrow, I will probably be grumpy.  And if we do have another snow day, I'll probably be grumpy in June.  No matter how you look at it, I end up grumpy.

Moral of the story?  I've got a bad attitude and large thighs.

No comments:

Post a Comment