Friday, June 6, 2014

Twenty-Four Weeks


Oh, Vivi...sigh.  I love this child to the moon and back.  God knows I do.  But I'm glad she's my second child otherwise  I'd be committed by now.  Cause this ish is bananas. B-a-n-a-n-a-s...

First, the allergy issues.  They're starting to make me twitch.  I've now been dairy free for three weeks.  I keep reading accounts of babies who were miraculously cured of all ailments after their mothers gave up dairy.  After only five days, not only did their skin clear, but the babies also went on to Harvard, fixed the environment, and stared in a hit Broadway musical entitled, "How to Succeed in Life by Passing the Butter."  

Sadly, this is not the case for Vivi.  Her eczema is actually worse, and her off-off Broadway musical is called, "Milk Me, Sexy Cow."

It was looking better for a few hours yesterday morning, and I danced a few "Come to Jesus!" dances around the house.  But by last night, her face was flaming red again, AND it spread to her chest and back.  

So...not dairy?  Wheat? Eggs? Peanuts? 

And how do I know if her skin issues are actually even food related?  Maybe she just has eczema, and it doesn't matter if I eat nothing but kale and coconut water for the next six months.  Maybe it's lotion and soap. Maybe she's allergic to dust.  Maybe she's allergic to me!  

Meanwhile, she's stopped sleeping through the night.  Well, I guess some nights she sleeps for five hour stretches, which isn't too bad.  But, last night she woke up every three.  A month ago she was hitting eight to ten consistently.  What the actual hell is going on?  

The only positive change I've seen is that she poops more than once a week.  She still has reflux.  So, there's that.  

Then there's the seperation anxiety issue.  She likes very few people.  Last night Eric tried putting her to bed, and she actually cried harder every time he picked her up.  She would rather lie there angry and alone than be comforted by someone who is not Mumma.  She's so dramatic...

My poor mother stopped by this week, and Vivi screamed when she looked at her.  Not a cry.  An actual, high-pitched, man with an axe is chasing me, hysterical scream.  Every time my mom tried to wave or talk to her, she screamed.  

My theory is that my mother is the only person who has ever babysat Vivienne, so she associates her with me leaving.  Who knows?  But we're meeting Mimi for lunch this afternoon.  Could be a quick lunch...

Last night we went to see Eric's students play at a local bookstore.  Everyone wanted to meet Vivi, of course.  Some people got smiles, most people got looks of terror or tears.  She's dramatic and antisocial.  

Anyhow, now that I've aired my woes, let me assure you that my child does have many redeeming qualities.  

She's cute as a button.  Seriously, those cheeks!  That smile!  The way she kicks her tiny feet in excitement!  

We love watching Vivi's wheels turn.  She carefully analyzes everything.  When she plays, it seems like she's trying to figure out how her toys work.  In the bathtub, she likes it when I strain water onto her belly.  Her face becomes serious as she tries to grab the water drops.  Anything that crinkles gets her attention.  I'm constantly wrestling her diaper wipes away from her.  

She's becoming interested in books.  She likes sitting with me and Madeline to read stories.  Mostly she likes to turn the pages or chew on the corner of the book.  

Sweet Vivi, I hope we can get all the tummy and skin problems worked out.  You're such a little trooper.  





No comments:

Post a Comment