Sunday, June 20, 2010

Moral to the Story: Eat More Snickers

People with experience keep telling me that being pregnant in the summertime can sometimes suck. I don't do well with heat under normal circumstances...My red hair and unnaturally white skin is genetic proof that I'm inclined toward cooler climes.
But, with the 90-plus-degree weather this week, I learned that being in heat while growing a human is just plain wrong.

I won't go into too many gory details, but there was an incident at a gas station that involved an empty tank of gas, too many cars waiting for a spot, no air conditioning, and one very agitated pregnant woman. I was in such an annoyed state that it wasn't until after the fog had cleared that I realized that people at the gas station were staring at me open-mouthed as if saying, "Who IS that unpleasant red-headed fat girl?" Note to self, when having a hormonal hissy fit, don't do it in a parking lot with the windows down.

It ended with Eric sighing good-naturedly and handing me a five dollar bill to get a cold drink while he patiently pumped the gas. I not only got the drink, I got a Snickers as well. I realized as I gave up my driving rights to Eric and crawled into the passenger seat to munch on my chocolate bar that number one: Eric has learned that calming me = feeding me candy and french fries, and two: I've reverted to the emotional intelligence of a five-year old. I didn't care. It was damn hot, and people should have moved out of my way...besides, that Snickers was tasty.

I also learned that no matter how terrible I look, I should not wear jeans when it's 95 degrees out. At home, I feel comfortable wearing shorts or sundresses or even, to be brutally honest, going pantless. But whenever possible, I like to spare the public views of the swollen logs of cookie dough that used to be my legs. But, after the gas-station incident, I went to Old Navy and bought three shapeless, gray muumuu things off the sales rack. I don't care if I look like a porpoise when I wear them; I'm wearing them for the rest of the summer.

Also, unless I'm going to be near water, I don't think I'll come out in the day much from now on. My life will closely resemble that of a vampire, which is very chic now, no? Except instead of sparkling in the sunlight a la Edward Cullen, my head will start spinning and I'll burst into flames a la Dracula. And Dracula is sooooo not as hot as Edward Cullen.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Caravan-Canopy-Zero-Gravity-Chair-Beige/12526795

    You HAVE to get one of these chairs. WE bought Martin's Dad some one year and I wouldn't get out of it the August before I had Kate. Fortunately, the price has dropped dramatically in the last few years. Unfortunately, that's made them very popular and hard to find. Let me know if you'd like to borrow one.
    :-) Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Thanks Dawn! I will totally look for one of these. And, if we can't find one, I'd love to borrow one :)

    ReplyDelete