Thursday, September 30, 2010

Mother-Daughter Outings


My life now revolves around tiny accomplishments.  Hooray- we got her in her stroller!  Hooray- she waited more than an hour to eat.  Hooray- she pooped eight times today!  Hooray- I managed to find time to shower!

This week I had the biggest tiny accomplishment so far.  I took Madeline out in public by myself!  Eric and I have taken her to the store and to the doctor's and even out to eat once, but besides a quick walk around the neighborhood, I had never been out with her myself.  On Tuesday, I took her to Barnes and Noble to pick up some parenting books I wanted.  The wonderful Ms. Call met us there for a cup of coffee as well.

Before leaving for the store, I had been petrified that something would go wrong.  I imagined not being able to get her car seat out of her stroller and back into the car.  I imagined my car breaking down by the side of the road.  I imagined Madeline screaming bloody murder the entire time we were out.  None of those things happened.  Madeline slept, well, like a baby, and I was able to enjoy a peaceful hour sipping coffee in the cafe.

This tiny accomplishment made me very happy.  I suddenly feel less trapped and more confident in my parenting abilities.  I will not turn into a mole person in our apartment after all!

I know someday Madeline will indeed throw a fit in public, but hopefully by the time that happens, I will be better equipped to handle it.  For now, just the fact that I know how to use her stroller and car seat makes me smile from ear to ear.  And I picture many mother-daughter outings in the future...perhaps to places more glamorous than Barnes and Nobles. (If that's even possible.)

Of course, Madeline cancelled out her good behavior in the store with a refusal to sleep that night.  Throughout the night, I again questioned my parenting abilities.  Maybe the caffeine from the coffee was keeping her awake?  The next morning she slept like a log with a little wicked smile on her face.  I think she wanted to let me know that she's still the one calling the shots.  
Don't get too cocky, Momma.  I still own you.  

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that picture! She's totally thinking she's in charge of your life.

    And isn't Barnes and Noble pretty much the most awesome place on earth....except for the Cheesecake Factory of course. Maybe we need to take a field trip there....

    ReplyDelete