Thursday, July 14, 2011

Brimfield

Last summer, Eric and I visited the Brimfield Antique Show for the first time.  The Brimfield Antique show is the largest antique market in the country.  Also, last summer I was ludicrously pregnant.  Also, it was the middle of July.  Also, it takes place in a field. Also, it was hot the day we decided to go.  Really hot.

Needless to say, we did not last long.  We didn't buy anything, and ended up booking it for the air conditioning at Friendly's by noon.

This year, I was really looking forward to going back.  I wanted to go in September, but you know, I was busy giving birth to the Maddie Bear and all.  I thought about going in May, but we also forgot about going in May.

So here we are, one year later, and we finally returned.  We picked up the A-mster, had enough gear to keep Madeline fed and happy for probably six months, and headed to the show.

Um, to say this show is huge is an understatement.  But, I'll say it anyway.  "It's huge."  There was so much stuff that I quickly found myself overwhelmed.  I had the desire to see everything because who knows what treasure lurked in the next stall over, but sadly, it would have been impossible to see everything.  After an hour or so, everything turned into one big blur of old stuff.

(Speaking of old stuff...poor Eric, who was pushing the baby stroller over the roughest antique-fair terrain man has known...had the pleasure of speaking to many judgmental elderly ladies.  Every blue-haired nymph we happened upon told him A.) To cover the baby up from the sun.  and B.)  She was way too skinny, so we should feed her more.  In response.  A.) It's called sunscreen.  It's been commonly used since 1944, and we reapplied more than once.  Get with it ladies.  Also, she had on a long-sleeved shirt, a hat, and she had a stroller canopy over her head. B.)  Now I'm paranoid that Madeline's not getting enough nutrition.  I stuffed her with enough turkey loaf and bananas when we got home that she could be a float in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. )

Anyhow, here's a sampling of what we saw:

I was thinking of getting these for the new house.  Ya know, to class up the place a bit.  

Mmmm, I love bright colors.  
Madeline was entranced by the fountains.  
These almost made me pee my pants with delight...until I saw that it cost $60 for salt and pepper shakers.
At that point, I peed my pants with sadness.   
Industrial spools.  There was entire section of old industrial hardware and furniture.
It almost made me wish we were staying in the lofts.  Allllll-most.  
Mmmmm chocolate fish. 
My goal was to find Pyrex Heaven.  I did not find Pyrex Heaven, but I got close.  (Pyrex Purgatory?  The red-headed step child of Pyrex Heaven?)

In the past week my Pyrex collection has multiplied...
 As long as it's turquoise, I'm happy.  

I probably could have purchased a lot more of it today, but if I bought all the Pyrex in one day, what would I have to look forward to next summer?  

No comments:

Post a Comment