Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Ginger Gene

Until Madeline was born, I was the lone redhead in my family.  I don't belong to the milk man, so obviously there has to be red hair in the gene pool in various places, (my father's mother for example) but I'm the only one I've ever seen.  

The fact that Madeline inherited my ginger gene makes me feel like there's an extra bond between us.  It's like sitting next to a stranger in the cafeteria only to find that you're not the only weirdo in the world who eats peanut butter and mustard sandwiches.  Kindred spirits!

 It makes me happy and proud when strangers comment on the fact that she takes after her mother.

Yet, sadly for little Madeline, inheriting her Mumma's head of hair comes with some challenges.

First off, although my daughter is one-and-a-half years old, she still doesn't have much hair.  What she does have is a beautiful shade of red, but it's scraggly long in some places while still sparse in others.

It used to look like this:

Then for a long time it looked like this:
Pretty much every time we went out someone would call her a boy...even when she was dressed head to toe in pink.

Now, it's finally long enough to tease some itty-bitty ponytails out of it:
(Even with the ponytails, people still call her a boy because they are morons.)
 When we take the ponytails out, her hair stays like this until we wash it:
 I love it!

Although Madeline's hair has finally started filling in, I'm not holding my breath for a full head of hair any time soon.  When I was a baby, my hair looked like this:

Except, I'm not a baby in this picture.  I'm three.

Madeline probably has at least two more years of a her boyish locks until we need to worry about ribbons and bows.

Then somewhere around age eleven or twelve, her baby-thin hair will morph into the giant red triangle that I'm still trying to tame today.
A boy at recess once told me I looked like Bozo the Clown.  Which, I did...Ouch.  When I was in my mid twenties, another boy once told me I have hair like a burlap sac.  Which I do...ouch.

Crazy hair?  We gots it!


P.S. Eric has a pretty mean cowlick in his crazy hair, so Madeline's got that going for her as well.

Linking up with Toddle Along Tuesday this week at Growing Up Geeky.









8 comments:

  1. I read yesterday that red heads have a higher pain threshold...which I personally think is freaking awesome!

    www.wegotthefunk1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read that before too Laura. It's our mutant genes. They give us freakish amounts of strength and power.

      Delete
  2. I cannot believe how much Maddie looks like you in your 3 year old picture!! So adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, I definitely remember wondering where you got your red hair. I think everyone else in the family ranges from light brown to dark brown (such a wide range). For some reason, I feel like I remember seeing a young picture of Nannie with reddish hair, or maybe some other woman in her family...I could be wrong. Completely off topic, is Maddie feeding the Elmo I gave her for Christmas? It's an adorable picture and I love her tiny ponytails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jenn! She LOVES her Elmo! We keep him the diaper bag for traveling, and when we go out to eat she likes to feed him. It's ridiculously cute, but also kind of a hot mess. Elmo has ended up with some food in his fur on numerous occasions. Perfect Christmas present!

      You have to have red hair on both sides of the family to get a red head, so it's entirely possible that Nannie had reddish hair. I have a picture of her on my dresser from when she was probably around my age now, and we look freakishly alike. That must be where I get my good looks from. :)

      Delete
  4. I think the red hair on my side comes from Grampy. We had some red headed French cousins about my age. Which makes sense since our ancestors came from Normandy. Normandy derived from Norse men. Those Vikings were everywhere! And what a lovely legacy; Summer & Madeline are gingers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those damn Vikings! Thanks for the info, Mom.

    ReplyDelete