Thursday, June 14, 2012

21 Months

Dear Madeline,

You are now twenty-one months old.  I wrote the other day about how quickly you are changing, and that has seemed to be the theme this past month.  Every day you surprise me with something new.

For example, you suddenly speak in complete sentences....with pronouns and everything!   It's great because just last week every other phrase out of your mouth was "No, Dada!" or "No, Mumma!"  Now you can tell us specifically what you like and don't like, want and don't want instead of just resorting to yelling at us.

Last month you were having a lot of temper tantrums and meltdowns, but that seems to have settled down (a bit) recently.  Don't get me wrong, you still have very little patience in life,  (Gee, where did you get that from???) but the violence of your temper has calmed.  Maybe it's due to your increased communication skills.  It has to be less frustrating to actually be able to state that you want milk in the morning instead of juice.

"Do you want some chicken, Madeline?"
 "No, I no like it."
"Okay. Do you want some bread?"
"Yes, please!"


 See?  Problem solved.  (Well except for the not eating anything but carbs issue...)

Two guys on bicycles rode down our street while we were eating dinner tonight.  Your back was to the door so you didn't see them, but you perked up when you heard them laughing and chatting.

"Mens!" you declared.  "I heard it!"

I commented to Dada that a week ago you wouldn't have been able to say that.  I was pretty impressed.

Another sign of toddler hood?  We've swapped out your highchair for a booster seat.  I think you enjoy being at the regular table with us much more.  You don't seem to put up as much of a fuss during dinner.

Meanwhile, you've been a pile of kisses and hugs the past few weeks.  When you hug us, you put your entire body into it.  Your pudgy little arms wrap tightly around our necks, and sometimes you take our faces between your two hands for a kiss.

My favorite new thing you do is when you come running into the kitchen to see me full-speed ahead.  You come crashing into me, wrap your arms around my knees, bury your face in my legs and sigh, "Oh, Mumma..."

I usually bend over to rub your back and return the hug.  Then you release me and go running full-speed ahead to a different part of the house to continue playing.

It's funny watching you zoom around everywhere.  We were playing in the yard after school today and you were just running everywhere.  So much so, that it sometimes makes me dizzy to watch you.  

I'm so glad summer vacation is right around the corner.  I'm looking forward to spending lots of lazy days with you my sweet baby girl.

Love,
Mumma


No comments:

Post a Comment