Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day 2012

If I were the father of a head-strong, almost-two-year-old girl, I think I might want a break on Father's Day.  Therefore, I offered Eric the chance to go kayaking, or to watch marching band things, or take an epic nap, or do whatever it is Erics do for the day.

He turned me down.  Instead he took his family to the zoo, humored me by touring a vintage market, and even cooked us dinner.  What can I say...I hit the jackpot with Eric.

He is a wonderful father.  I learn a lot about parenting from watching him with Madeline.  He's more patient than I, more laid back, and more willing to let his own desires slide for the sake of someone else's whims.

Need an example?  He contorted himself into this tiny train to make Madeline happy.  I would have been a much better, and more comfortable fit, but he let me eat lunch with my friend in peace without even having to be asked.

Two years ago we celebrated Father's Day by setting up a crib.  Last year, I made him this cheese-tastic video chronicling Madeline's first months.  This year, I got a little lazy and bought him some BBQ accessories...

However, I also asked him if he'd answer a few questions about fatherhood for the ole bloggy-wog.  If you've been reading for a while, you might remember that we did the same thing right before Madeline was born.  You can read that interview here!

I thought it would be fun for an update...especially since it's Father's Day...and because we had a semi-tough day with our little beastie  angel.

What is the best part of being a dad?  

Watching M discover the world.

What is the most challenging part?  

Making enough time to really see her grow up.  It is so easy to get distracted by work, Ipads, etc.  I always try to make enough time to be with her.  It's hard sometimes, but always worth it.

What do you know about father-hood now that you wish you knew then?

That it's not as hard or as easy as it seems.

What's one of your favorite Madeline memories?  

Her first REAL laugh.

Do you have any advice for new or future fathers?

As cliche as it sounds, just enjoy every minute!

What's your choice for the best piece of baby gear or equipment?  

A good stroller, or "tollo" as Madeline likes to call it.  

1 comment:

  1. Nana and Pop send Happy Father"s Day it looks like everyone had a great day!
    Lots of Love

    ReplyDelete