Tuesday, November 12, 2013

State of the Name...Again

Ugh, the great name debate continues. I think we've considered ALL the names, and I still. can't. decide.  I'm not BS-ing about this so we can be all, "Surprise, her name is Dmiracle! We knew it all along!"  We really don't have a name yet....at all.  

But since we can't call her "The Baby," or "The Other One," or "Little Sister" indefinitely, we've narrowed our choices down to the following three:

Vivienne Ann

Vivienne has been on the top of my list from the beginning.  I think it's so, so pretty.  When I hear this name, I think of someone who is feminine, lovely, and a bit on the serious side.  I also like Vivi as a more playful, youthful nickname.  Vivienne is also Madeline's favorite because that's the name of the shy princess on Sophia the First.

However, Vivienne Ann, along with our hyphenated last names, is quite a mouthful.  The sound of her full name is not a deal breaker though since the only time I ever use Madeline's full name aloud is when she's in trouble.

Ivy Anne

Ivy is quickly becoming my new favorite. It's got the "vee" sound I seem to be drawn to in names like Vivienne and Evie.  Plus, Ivy is appropriate for the Christmas season.  I imagine a girl named Ivy to be a bit quirky, artistic, and free-spirited.

The drawback is the whole Poison Ivy thing. I don't want people to associate my sweet baby daughter with a poisonous plant that causes a gross body rash.  On the other hand, a student who overheard me discussing baby names with a colleague told me, "Ain't nobody gonna mess with a girl called Poison Ivy.  She'll rule the school."  That's good to know.

Elsa Anne

This is Eric's favorite, and it's growing on me.  Elsa is pretty, simple, and old-fashioned.  I picture a girl in braids making daisy chains and playing the French Horn when I hear this name.

On the other hand, it's very The Sound of Music.  I'm worried that if we go with a name like Elsa, she'll end up appearing in a Ricola commercial with a goat named Sven.  Not that there's anything wrong with goats or the name Sven.

So there you have it!  Our child could end up being Vivienne, Ivy, or Elsa.  In fact, we might end up picking a name from a hat.

P.S.  I did the same run down with our top three names last time.  Read it HERE.  It's funny how I can't picture Madeline as anything other than Madeline now, but she could have been Harper or Ellary instead.  I suppose I'll feel the same way about baby Dmiracle some day.


No comments:

Post a Comment