Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Nature Vs. Nurture

Baby hasn't even made her grand entrance into this show yet, and I'm already starting to become jealous of her wardrobe. The number of shoes, hats, and adorable little dresses are multiplying in her closet, and I plan on only adding more as she grows.

Which all leads me to wonder if my desire for pink, frilly little clothes is predispositioning baby to be a girly-girl.

Maybe a woman's need for yet another pair of shoes all goes back to the moment her mother finds out the baby she's carrying is a she baby and starts loading up on all things pretty.

On the other hand, I consider myself to be pretty darn girly, but I don't think I was particularly raised to be that way. My bedroom was not pink; it was blue. I did wear cute dresses for special occasions, but I think I rocked primary-colored overalls more than anything. I had toy trucks that I played with (though I did prefer Barbie.) Yet, now, as an adult, my favorite color is pink, I love shoes, floral dresses, expensive purses, and (sigh) Tiffany's as much as Holly Golightly.

Therefore, maybe even if I dressed baby in a potato sack until she's 15, she would still end up loving shoes. Or---Maybe she will rebel against my girlification and want nothing to do with dresses. That will be a sad day for her mother, but I've got a good four to five years of dressing her without her say-so...I intend to live it up.

Maybe the doctors made a mistake and baby is not a she baby, but in fact, a he baby. (That would be a shock!) In that case, my social experiment would really be put to the test because that baby boy would be wearing nothing but pink dresses for the first year of his life. I've already got a closet full of them.

In keeping with my master plan of girlification, I spent my morning looking at adorable baby girl clothes on Etsy. Here are a few of my favorites:

This hat by Chunky Monkey Beanies:


And this cute pinafore by Lee Marie.


And this darling romper by Charming Necessities:


And this smock by Pink Dixie:

1 comment: