Thursday, July 1, 2010

Twihard with Avengance: AKA Total Eclipse of My Pride

"Omigawd Mo-o-om, you are soooo like embarrassssssing me!"



This is what baby girl would be saying if she knew that I went and saw Twilight: Eclipse at the movie theater yesterday. Luckily, baby is still a baby, an unborn one at that, and doesn't even know Twilight exists. Therefore, she didn't have to experience the utter embarrassment of watching her mother waddling into a theater full of adolescent girls yesterday.
(Bonus embarrassment points??? I balanced a bag of popcorn on my belly.)

When the movie was over, Amy leaned over to me and laughed, "We should be way too old to be watching these movies. I know they're so awful, but I just can't help watching them!" She's right. The books and the movies are not very good, and I'm keenly aware of that as I watch/read them, but I just have to do it! It's like Lady Gaga, crack, and McDonald's french fries combined.

In reality, walking into the theater wasn't as embarrassing as I had envisioned. I may have been the only pregnant woman there, but I wasn't the oldest. There were plenty of moms there with their middle-school-aged daughters. The moms seemed just as excited to be there as their children. I read an article not too long ago (Wish I could remember where) about how moms and their daughters are both developing heavy crushes on Edward Cullen. It basially said that since he's both 17 and 109, and that he can stay frozen in time, he appeals to a wide range of ladies. I bet Joan Rivers loves him too.

I'm glad baby has missed this pop-culture phenomenon. I'm ashamed of my Twilight addiction enough as it is. I can't imagine sharing my crush on Edward Cullen with my teenage daughter. That'd probably scar her for life.

Still, who knows? By the time baby is 15, there will probably be some new fad out there. Maybe one about teenage leprechauns or moody, misunderstood Yeti. In the meantime, I'll just pat my belly and be glad she doesn't have to watch her mother make a fool of herself...yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment