Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Dear Madeline: November, 2012

Dear Madeline,

Last month I wrote about how challenging your two-year-old self has become.  I'm pleased to report that this month has gone much more smoothly.

I'm not saying you don't still have your moments.  You do.  Tonight you got a time-out for hitting Dada in the face while he was trying to keep you from playing in the silverware drawer.  Uh-oh.  Yet, I feel like we've fallen into a comfortable routine with this new you.  I know when you're trying to test your limits.  We've come up with some slightly better strategies for dealing with those moments.  And most of all, you've become a big ball of love and fun again.  

You've always been a very loving baby, but now you know how to fully express it.  Often your father and I are greeted with giant hugs and exclamations of, "I love my Mumma!" and "I love my Dada!"  You like to cuddle, stroke my cheek, or pat my back.  You ask, "How was your day, Dada?"  or "How is that apple, Mumma?  Good?"

In fact, your loving nature sometimes knows no bounds.  For example, after professing your love for Dada the other day, you turned to an evergreen bush in the yard and sighed, "I love this bush."  Yesterday, you crawled up in my lap, stroked the Ipad and expressed your love for it as well.  I guess this makes us question the seriousness of your affections for us.  

Our electronic devices are no longer safe in your presence.  You try to swipe my phone whenever you get the chance.  You like to take pictures.  I have deleted hundreds of photographs of the ground over the last few weeks.  If allowed, you will sit with the Ipad on your lap happily playing games for at least a full half-an-hour.  You know just what apps to visit for the Maddie games.

Having conversations with you continues to blow my mind.  It's so much fun to hear what you remember from your day.  A few days ago we learned all about a fight you and a friend from school had over a Pooh Bear toy at school.  It resulted in yet another bite mark on your poor shoulder.  But it was very interesting to hear how the conflict started and how worried and upset you seemed by it even days after the fact.

We've taught you to tell the other babies, "No-no. No bite!" when someone attempts a nibble.  I want you to be able to stand up for yourself.  Apparently it's working because when I pretended to gobble you up recently, you said, "No-No, Mumma!  No bite!"

Probably the biggest new milestone for you is that we've started the serious business of potty training.   You've successfully used the potty many times, and even though we try to keep you diaperless for as long as possible when we're home, we haven't had any accidents over the past few days.  If your in a mood where you really insist on wearing a diaper, we don't push it, but you seem to be mostly willing to play along.

I brought you to the store to pick out your first pair of big-girl underwear over the weekend.  There were many different kinds to choose from, but you went for the Rapunzel theme.  An obvious choice.

 I can't believe what a big girl you're becoming, little lady.  We're very proud of you.

Love,
Mumma


2 comments:

  1. Hi Summer!
    This is Shannon (Fisher), we went to school together. I found your blog via pinterest from some common person, I guess? Its amazing the trails you can follow!
    Anyway - I hope you don't mind me reading.
    Your little girl is so beautiful, like her momma! I am so so happy that she got that red hair from you. What a gift!

    This post is so sweet and it sounds like you are one exceptional Mom to an exceptional little girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Shannon! How are you??? That's so funny how you found this. Ah the wonders of social media!!!

      Thanks for the sweet comments. I hope you are well!

      Delete