Wednesday, November 28, 2012

On Fathers and Daughters


I was never what one would refer to as a "daddy's girl."  I've always been my mother's daughter.  I have a great stepfather, and I suppose my actual father was a great dad at one point too, but that was long before I can remember.

Therefore, I think I sometimes underestimate the role Eric plays in Madeline's life.  I easily forget that he's my partner in this strange trip called parenthood.  As much as I am Madeline's protector, caregiver, and guide, so is he.  I don't get to claim that job for myself.

 I didn't mean to write any of this tonight.  I was just going to post some pictures from the beach. Yet, when I looked back through the photographs, I couldn't help thinking about how lucky Madeline is to have such a great dad who obviously worships the ground the she walks on.  He will always, always be there for her.


And Eric is lucky in the same way I am.  We get the amazing privilege of watching the incredible life we created become a person.

And I get the added benefit of being able to witness my daughter becoming a daddy's girl.

2 comments:

  1. What a great post with such sweet pictures! I hear that a bond between daddy and daughter is like no other

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's pretty cool watching that bond develop.

      Delete