Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Back to School

Um, guys? Summer vacation is over. What's that all about?

Madeline and I returned to our regular routines this week.  I went back to work, and Madeline went back to school.  Meanwhile, Eric has another week of vacation, so he's busy working on finishing a growler of Magic Hat and watching drum corps DVDs.  I'm partially jealous...guess of which part.

Madeline woke up ridiculously early on our first day back due to a nightmare about "a pink thing" in her bed.  She usually loves anything pink, so I'm not sure what this "thing" could have been to scare her so much that she couldn't fall back asleep.  She's had nightmares about lobsters in her bed before...maybe pink lobsters?

Instead of snoozing, she busied herself playing with my makeup while I got ready for work.   Finally, I handed her a tube of pink lipstick, plopped a mirror in front of her, and let her go for it.

She was so proud of herself! Sometimes the smallest things make her the happiest.

The day before, Madeline picked out a new back-to-school outfit.  I've never seen her be so interested in clothing.  I had picked out an adorable pair of red corduroy overalls, but when she saw this pink jumper, her eyes lit up and she carried it around the store.  I gave in and put the overalls back.

I must say, she's got pretty good taste.  Hello, adorable!


She was so excited to go back to school that she kept bouncing around.  As a result, every picture I got was blurry.  Oh well...at least she was happy.


I spent my first day of work at meetings and doing battle with the locked desk in my room. (Thanks, Emily. Who knew you had to put the key in backwards?!) Madeline, on the other hand, spent her first day playing with her best buddy, playing in housekeeping, and apparently not getting a turn at the water table.  She had a great day, and was appropriately exhausted by bedtime...as was I.  

Her second day back seemed a little less exciting.  She was bit sad when I picked her up, and at dinner she told us, " (Child's Name) isn't my friend anymore.  She doesnt' want to play with me," and started crying.

It pretty much broke my heart.  We told her that maybe tomorrow the girl would want to play, and if not, play with the other kids instead because there are lots of other friends to have fun with.  Madeline seemed to accept this, and gobbled up the rest of her dinner.  I guess, she wasn't too upset.  School drama is tough, man...even in preschool.

Oh, Madeline, I hope you stay young and innocent as long as possible, and never learn to twerk like Miley Cyrus.  Cause that ish is nasty.  

1 comment:

  1. Loved the first day of school picture. Maddie you did a great job with the lipstick.
    Love Nana

    ReplyDelete