Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Letters to Maddie Bear May, 2013

Dear Madeline,

I'm not going to lie. You've been a bit challenging lately. I've heard that three is much worse than the "terrible twos." Perhaps now you're on the downward slide to three.

It seems like you put up a fight against everything we try to do. It's not just the yucky stuff like eating veggies or brushing your teeth either. It's everything. I just went upstairs to cuddle you a bit as you fell asleep. Nice...until you started pulling my hair and pouting when I told you to stop. We ordered you a plate of cookies and milk for desert the other night, and you fussed because I wouldn't let you use the straw to splash milk everywhere. You were happy with the hotdog we bought you at Fenway until you decided you didn't want me to hold the plate balancing on our laps. I guess letting a plate full of ketchup spill all over us is a much better option. The new attitude makes even fun times a little stressful.

Meanwhile, I'm still amazed by what a little kid you're becoming. I don't have to constantly hover over you any more. You're capable of playing by yourself without doing much bodily harm. Of course I'm still not a fan of flips off the couch.

Your imagination is emerging. You like to pretend to be Rapunzel in her tower when you play on your climber. You nearly gave me a heart attack when you told me there was a snake behind the door tonight. When I sent Dada to investigate, you added that it was a pink snake named Madeline.

You haven't been sleeping well lately either. You lie in bed playing, and whining, until way past 9 pm. There have been a few times where I've gone to sleep before you in the past month. I'm hoping this changes soon because I think the lack of sleep is adding to your crankiness.

Luckily, you seem to have gotten over your anti Dada phase. You even let him put you to bed on occasion. I'm glad because you two are great playmates. He'll sit on the floor playing Little People with you for much longer than Mumma has the patience for.

In spite of the challenges your impish ways throw at us, I feel very blessed to be your Mumma. It's miraculous watching you grow and change before our very eyes.

I will love you forever and always, little girl.

Love,
Mumma



2 comments: