Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Letters to Maddie Bear: October 2013

Dear Madeline,

You've been getting the short end of the Mumma stick recently, my girl.  I've been tired, grumpy, and too busy growing a baby to keep up with you like I used to.  Luckily, you don't seem to mind an increase in movie watching and IPad playing even if I am feeling slightly guilty about it.

You're such a sweetheart about your baby sister.  I felt nauseous this morning, so you hugged me close and rubbed my back to make me feel better.  You helped me pick out some clothes for the baby over the weekend.  You insisted on a pink outfit with horses on it because, "Look, Mumma, this one is very small!"  We looked around the store to see if there was anything you liked better, but you stuck to your guns.  You rub my belly, talk to the baby, and worry about not crushing her on a regular basis.  Sometimes when she starts kicking me you say, "She wants me, Mumma," and you offer to change her diapers.  I think you'll make a great big sister.

We visited a local farm a few days ago to take advantage of the beautiful fall weather.  You saw a tiny pumpkin, scooped it up, and cried, "We can be its family!"  I pretty much melted into a gooey pile of sap right there in the middle of the pumpkin patch.

We brought your little guy home, along with three of his equally tiny brothers and sisters.  You carried him very carefully to the car, and when we got home, you proudly placed the little pumpkin family on the front steps.

Of course, you're not always sunshine and rainbows.  You are three, after all.  You whined incessantly for a balloon while out shopping.  You sometimes cry when you don't get your way or when we ask you to pick up your toys.  You've grown a little bit fresh with me.  I was looking for something the other day, and you said "It's right behind you," with such attitude that I could hear the eye roll in your voice.  And...you keep drinking the bath water no matter how many times I tell you not to.  Gross, Madeline.

Luckily, you are constantly keeping us laughing.  You're such a funny little girl.  Tonight I heard you say, "Hey, stay cool, guys!" to your toys.  The other day you burst in the room and called Dada "You silly man!"  Meanwhile potty humor has become funny.  Last night you told us to look at your "stinky bum" before breaking down into giggles. Gross, Madeline.    

On the other hand, you can be quite prim and proper when you want to be.  When you play with your tea set you ask, "Would you like to join me for tea?"  Tonight you finished a sentence with "rather."

Although we do have the occasional accident, you're officially potty trained now.  As a result, you've become quite intrigued with public restrooms.  Every time we go out, it seems we have to visit the bathroom at least three times.  It's also a convenient excuse to try to get out of bed at night...I'm on to you though.

Finally, I'm intrigued watching you in new situations.  You don't like to dive right into something new.  Instead you observe quietly before slowly becoming involved.  I witnessed this at the hay maze while visiting the farm last week.  You weren't too sure about the hay bales at first.  They were scratchy, tall, and there were lots of big kids running around.  Yet, you didn't run away.  First you asked me to hold your hand, then you let me lift you onto the hay bales.  Eventually you let your guard down and started hiding amongst the hay.  In the end, I had to drag you out of there because you were having so much fun that you didn't want to leave.

You're such a joy, Maddie Bear!

Love,
Mumma Bear


No comments:

Post a Comment