Tuesday, May 31, 2011

37 Weeks

Madeline is 37 weeks old today, which means she has been out of the oven as long as she was in it.  Pretty. Darn. Crazy.

For some reason, I don't remember a heck of a lot of my pregnancy.  The only part that really stands out is the summer months.  In retrospect, those eight months feel so quick!

I don't feel that way with Madeline at all.  The past 37 weeks seems years long...in the best way possible of course.  Seriously, she's the most awesome mini human on the planet!  Probably Mars too.    

I think the part of the reason that it seems like Madeline has been in our lives for-ev-er, is because she's grown so fast and learned so much in such a short amount of time.

She's no longer a helpless loaf of bread.  She's a person now.

Some person-like qualities she now possesses?

She pushes us away and scowls if we try to do something she doesn't like.  If she doesn't want her spoon...dirty look.  Pacifier?  Dirty look.  Want to cuddle?  Dirty look.

This new behavior shows up the most during meal times.  The baby who used to gobble down everything in sight now refuses to eat.  If she sees me as much as pick up the spoon, she cries, turns her head, locks her lips, and shoves my hand away.

I've been trying to get her to feed herself more, but she doesn't quite understand the process.  Her pincher grasp is developing well, but she doesn't understand the next step of putting the food into her mouth.  Still, she's her mother's daughter, so I suspect that her full feeding capabilities will kick into gear any day now.  

On the other hand, she's obsessed with cups.  She loves it when I hold up my water glass for her to sip from.  Her sippy cup?  Well, she hates that....obviously.  That's for babies, Mumma.

Madeline is now able to hold herself in a crawling position! Up on both hands and knees!  Exciting stuff.  I think we'll have a crawler on our hands this summer.

She's getting so wiggly.  If I have her on my lap, and she sees something she wants, she'll lunge for it...even if that means taking a nose dive off the couch.  I keep a tight grip on this one nowadays.

Maddie still continues to make us laugh and smile on an almost constant basis.  She finds any "Yuck!" sounds to be hilarious.  After she gives me baby kisses (aka slobbers all over my face) I say, "Bleck!" and she laughs like it's the funniest thing she's ever seen in her life. (Actually, it probably is the funniest thing she's seen in her life...37 weeks doesn't leave the gal much time to live a little.)  

Her new favorite sound is "Bah."  She repeats it in her crib every morning when I go in to get her.  I'm wondering if she's trying to say "Bub" because that's what we call her bottles.....curious.  

 !!!LATE BREAKING NEWS!!!!

Madeline has now decided that when she no longer wants her pacifier, it's necessary to throw it across her bedroom with all her might.  Which is why I'm so late in posting my weekly update.

Happy TUESDAY folks!




 

1 comment: